Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mathew Too Fucking Good at Massey


If you didn't catch Matt Good's show at Massey Hall, you missed out on a pretty incredible experience.

The set, which lasted about two hours, was one of the most accurate reflections of an artist's musical -- and biographical -- legacy that I've ever witnessed.

Good and his band performed a mixed selection of songs from his rich discography including energetic tracks like; Hello Time Bomb, Load Me Up and Weapon, along with emotional classics like Odette and Apparitions.

Not being a die-hard Matt Good fan, the $50 price tag (after the BS ticketmaster charges) was a tad steep to see a Canadian act who hasn't produced the most earth-shattering music in the last few years. But when I began listening to his newest album, Vancouver, my interest peaked. After the show, I felt like I ripped Matt off.

I can't ignore, though, the credit due to Massey Hall. Weeks before the concert I heard endless praise on the place's acoustics and atmosphere, blah, blah. The commentary began to drone, but I dug what they were saying during the show. The venue is no Horshoe Tavern, it's big, but somehow it manages to deliver intense intimacy. And the acoustics...yea the acoustics were fucking mind-numbing.

A concluding formula...Matt Good + Massey Hall = money well spent.

also: see Matt Good's album Live at Massey Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment